NBC Moves ‘The Contender’ Again

NBC has once again blinked in the reality battle with Fox, moving last fall’s ‘The Contender’ from the previously announced Tuesday slot opposite ‘American Idol’ starting March 1st to a Wednesday night slot beginning March 9th. Surprisingly large ratings for ‘American Idol’ are to blame. ‘The Contender’, produced by Mark Burnett (‘Survivor’/’The Apprentice’) and featuring Sylvester Stallone was announced last summer as a boxing-themed reality program, and quickly became the most expensive reality show ever produced. However, when Fox rushed their hackjob ‘The Next Great Champ’ to air, and then promptly failed, NBC grew scared and quickly moved to distance their show from the Fox knock-off. The decision to attack ‘American Idol’ head-on had been made after a similar decision with ‘The Apprentice’ had seen surprising results against TV’s highest rated drama, ‘CSI’. Those interested in ‘The Contender’ will want to schedule Monday, March 7th for the special premiere episode, at which point it will settle into its regular Wednesday slot.

‘The Apprentice: The Musical’?

In another in the long line of signs of the pending apocalypse Mark Burnett is apparently hard at work on songs for his upcoming Broadway performance ‘The Apprentice: The Musical’. “We are really looking at it,” noted Donald Trump. “We’ve had a lot of interest on Broadway. Because of the great success of ‘The Apprentice’ every producer on Broadway wants to get involved with this. We’ll probably have something to report one way or the other in the not-too-distant future. I think it would do very well on Broadway.” The third season of the non-musical televised version launches tomorrow.

CBS Orders Up More ‘Survivor’

That didn’t take long – and I told you not to worry. Perhaps in response to the angered ramblings of Mark Burnett during a press conference last week, CBS head Les Moonves has ordered two more rounds of ‘Survivor’. Second seasons were also ordered for popular CBS series ‘Two And A Half Men‘, ‘Joan Of Arcadia‘, ‘Cold Case‘, and ‘Navy NCIS‘.

The previously announced ‘CSI: New York’ will spin off of ‘CSI: Miami‘ during May sweeps in much the same way ‘CSI: Miami’ spun off an episode of ‘CSI‘.

‘Survivor’ To End?

The big talk in the World of ‘Survivor’ centres around a press conference comment by creator Mark Burnett when asked how he planned to top the pending ‘Survivor: All Stars‘: “Who said there’d be a next time? It’s not been ordered or discussed.”

Personally, I’m not terribly concerned that Survivor won’t continue, and it’s probably far too early to be worried about it.

More interesting notes to come out of the conference were that two former Survivors turned down their chance to appear on All-Stars: Survivor 2’s Elizabeth Filarski, who has now established a career on ‘The View’, and Survivor’s Colleen Haskell, who simply didn’t want to go through it again.

Even more interesting notes came out of an interview with Jeff Probst concerning sites like mine (oops) that spoil Survivor – it appears CBS will be diving whole-hog into issuing fake spoilers for this pending All Stars season in hopes of keeping the true spoilers hidden.