I took two weeks off like I said I would – Sunday morning is softball and I’m going to test the shoulder – wish me luck! In the meantime, I promised a quiz:
Where are you right now?
In my home office here in Bolton, Ontario, Canada. Surrounded by two computers (one whose sole purpose it is to play me television), a stuffed dog, empty cans of Vanilla Coke, an autographed Wilco poster, a couple of guitars, and a lot of junk.
What have you lost recently?
Dexter’s Laboratory at 3:30 – YTV stopped airing it. Jerks.
What was the first CD you ever purchased?
“Live! Live! Live!” by Bryan Adams many years ago. I was a fan of his back when he wrote fun rock music (ie. prior to writing inane drivel) and, together with my friend Brent, saved up the required $40 (a lot when you’re a kid) to have it imported from Japan a few years before it was available here. I remember thinking it was the greatest thing ever because the lyrics inside were Japanese. I also remember more than one person asking me if the songs were Japanese. Uh-huh.
What is your favourite kind of writing pen?
Anything fine and black. By fine I mean a very thin tip.
What is your favourite ice cream flavour?
Of the moment – that new fake Oreo stuff from President’s Choice. I’d run over my neighbours if they got between me and the grocery store.
I’m bored and going to bed.
A veritable plethora of posting glory for everyone today! Get the popcorn, grab a Vanilla Coke and settle back. E-mail your love to me using the link at the end.
1. I beat John Garrett and Scott Morrison of Sportsnet in the playoff hockey pools this year. And THEY’RE supposed to be the experts. Tell you what, boys, I’m available for your show sometime.. we’ll shoot the poop, talk hockey, I’ll learn ya a thing or two. :)
2. I also near-doubled my “competition” (Brent, Rob, and Paul) in the Faceoff.com Playoff pool. In the immortal words of Kevin Spacey in American Beauty: “I RULE!”
3. Perhaps most importantly, this Friday night I’ll be doing an overnight run for the Canadian Cancer Society to raise money for them. I need to raise a minimum of $100 in pledges – receipts for amounts over $10 are available – so if anyone is willing to sponsor me for this I’d be grateful. It’s for a good cause – I lost an uncle last year to cancer and really wanted to do my part in his memory. I can organize donations through PayPal or we can work out something else. No pressure – but if anyone is willing just toss me an e-mail or give me a call at home.
4. If you marinate pork tenderloin in lime juice for at least a couple hours before cooking time, it’s hella-good. Seriously. Try it.
5. I’m now writing two movie scripts. I started a new one to see if I could do it – it’s a nice little coming of age love story with a sad ending. A big part of the film will be the influence music has on the main male character, and that said, I have already finished putting together what would be the soundtrack and I’m now detailing how the film will fall together. The problem I’ve reached is that the story doesn’t seem to have a single “high” moment, or climax if you will, that the film builds up to. Not sure if that becomes an issue or if it’s typical of lovey-dovey movies.
6. Can you write PHP? If you don’t know what that means, you can’t. If you can write PHP, e-mail me and we’ll chat. I need a PHP programmer for a project I’m working on.
Vanilla Coke is in CANADA, baby! I saw it at Zehr’s today and picked up a couple of cases. This stuff is nice, make sure you grab some to try. I’ve been making vanilla Coke at home for a good 10 or 15 years since my Mom introduced it to me. She had it as a kid and got me to try it and I was hooked. It’s been available at Jack Astor’s for years as well – now it’s available in official cans and bottles.
TLC is finally running their roller coaster shows again today – I’m watching “Greatest Thrill Rides” now – if you’re reading this from Canada try to catch it today, loads of fun. The things they do with these roller coasters are insane – Canada’s rules are much more strict, which is why Rob and I have been considering a trip to Sandusky, Ohio for the past couple years to catch some rolly coasters at Cedar Point. These shows bring you not only to view the best coasters in the world in action, but also behind the scenes on how the new concepts are created. One interesting tidbit – the Superman Ride of Steel coaster in California is taller than the highest point in the State of Florida. Go figure. :)
In other, far more irritating news, my shoulder “fell” at the store today, meaning it shifted downwards. Not a good downwards either. My arm think it’s resting place is on a 45 degree angle now. This is really starting to grate on my nerves. A lot. I’m back at the gym tomorrow for a workout and a swim – I haven’t decided if it’s best to let it be or push it a bit yet. I’ll ask the sports doc before I go.
Check this out! I think taking credit for adding Vanilla to Coca-Cola in 1982 is a bit self-righteous, seeing as people have been doing just that for years before he made up a chemical name for it. However, everyone loves a good mystery – alert Oliver Stone!